02 April 2009

On Creativity...

Show and tell time...

So, I have a confession to make: I have a huge regret... I never pursued the creative side of me.

Don't get me wrong, I get my read/listen/view/taste/write on, but there's something of a performer that was never let out in the way she could have. I actually cannot remember the last time I put pen to paper in a creative manner.

When I was younger, I had desires of a bohemian life, full of colors, sounds, harmonies, galleries, studios, roadtrips, 8-hour conversations, and knowing the band. I was going to do it all, and then become president. My talent would be words, and I would give them to audiences every night relentlessly and with passion.

And then I was taught the five paragraph essay, the lyric poem, and the book review. I was forced to compartmentalize the very form that seemed to breathe freely and with ease within my mind.

And now, I'm afraid that it's gone. My head is too much like something from The Container Store: all sterile and clean, transparent and cold. It feels like science in my head, and it makes every essay feel like a ball bouncing hollowly through rooms that used to be alive and move with syllables that flowed on rivers of rhythm and groove.

I need a release.

4 comments:

  1. What do you tell me all the time, just write. There is a place for the container store objects (usually in a closet) not inside that wonderfully gifted head of yours. I say throw out the stuff that holds you back and keep the stuff that helps you soar. You can not destroy a youth filled with these types of aspirations in 4 years of university. You are the Lyricist for a reason. Just my two cents worth, Ive always told you and your Broham you were stars. Just get your shine on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the title of your blog, I would say life is a borrowed dream. Everything in life is borrowed, even the flesh on our body. Just like hire purchase, it has to someday, one way or another, be “repaid” in full. It is never too late to be your future. Regret nothing. Life is too short to have regrets. Preparation + opportunity + ACTION = SUCCESS.

    Follow these links on my blog:

    Nothing Happens Until Something Moves
    http://rfourbiz.blogspot.com/2009/02/nothing-happens-until-something-moves.html

    A Secret Success Formula That I Know
    http://r4biz.blogspot.com/2009/01/secret-success-formula-that-i-know.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say that every one is composed of 3 persons: you are who you are, you are who people think you are, and you are who you truly are.

    Being who you truly are is not as easy as it probably should be. It takes a bold person to refuse to be caged by society's imposed thoughts of what success should look and feel like.

    My advice would be...I'd rather ask for forgiveness for my mistakes, than ask for permission to be who I truly am. Life is to be lived, and thus, lessons are to be learned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will openly admit...its much easier said than done. I too struggle to be true to myself...but its worth the fight...EVERYDAY!

    ReplyDelete