15 April 2009

On Swag...

Yes, I know, that title is a little unconventional in relation to the others, but I think it fits...
:-)

So, this term started a while back, blew up big with the M.I.A. sampled song, rode the highs of a Soulja Boy single, and has permeated the vocab of people young, old, white, black, etc.

I do believe everyone has their own "swag" (mojo/"it"/hustle/je ne sais quoi), and mine took a blow recently...

When I came into this year, I was with a very close friend of mine, and I made my resolution both in my mind and vocally to her: this is going to be MY year. The year of me doing me, "swagger on a hundred, thousand, trillion". And, arguably, it has. Starting an hour or so into this year, I was already living up to that resolution, with people trying to get numbers, giving me the eye, and the like...

Oh your girl was ON.

This pattern continued as the weeks progressed, and my swag was on the upswing (paint a picture of the stockmarket decline or recent months, now flip it...you got it). Including back to back law school acceptances, I've been feeling right nice.

And then one school in particular came around and decided they wanted to ruin my streak. And it was my top choice. And I got into a school about 10 places higher.

When I saw the small envelope, I knew it wouldn't be the news I was hoping for. This is how it sounded in my head: "whatintheworldcouldhavehappeneditriedsohardtomakesureeverythingwasrightandidoublenotriplecheckeditOMGTHEYMUSTNOTKNOWWHOIAM!!!"

It truly was that crowded in there. And over the past few days, I've been thinking on those last few clustered words: they must not know who I am.

I'm going to repeat that until my swag gets back up to where it was...

Yeah...

No comments:

Post a Comment